Frequently Asked Questions
With a legacy spanning nearly 30 years, Phoenix House Florida is a nationally recognized and accredited nonprofit behavioral healthcare provider, specializing in the treatment of substance use disorders and co-occurring mental health disorders.
Phoenix House Florida is accredited by CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, a nationally recognized standard of excellence. In 2018 CARF awarded Phoenix House Florida accreditation for an additional three years, confirming performance at the highest level of excellence. We are fully licensed by the State of Florida Department of Children and Families.
Our primary providers are professionals who are licensed at the highest levels and/or hold advanced degrees. Our primary providers include board-certified psychiatrists, licensed mental health counselors, licensed clinical social workers, certified addiction professionals, and registered nurses. We have additional highly qualified and expert staff to assist with care for your loved one that includes transportation and clinical technicians, sous chef and dietary assistants, facilities management, admissions representative, housekeeping specialist and a vocational liaison.
Phoenix House Florida offers a full continuum of care between our two locations in Citra and Brandon, with a wide variety of programs and services to meet most clients’ needs. We provide comprehensive clinical assessments to determine the appropriate level of care and placement that best suits the client. We offer adult residential (inpatient) and Partial Hospitalization (PHP) at our program in Citra. At our locations in Brandon and Tampa we offer adult and adolescent outpatient and intensive outpatient programs, all of which utilize the latest evidence-based practices.
We provide treatment and evaluation services for adults at our residential program and both adults and teens at our outpatient program who have or may have issues with substance use or a combination of substance use and other mental health issues. We also provide educational and supportive services to family members, friends, significant others, and the community.
- ID/INSURANCE and PRESCRIPTION CARDS – Please bring a picture ID, insurance card(s), and prescription cards.
- MEDICAL – If you have recently been discharged from the hospital, please bring your discharge paperwork with you. If you have had a recent PPD (tuberculosis) skin test, please bring the results and/or a recent chest X ray testing for tuberculosis to avoid a retest.
- MEDICATIONS – Please bring all of your prescription medications in the current prescription bottles. If approved by our doctor, your own medications will be administered until authorized medications are ordered and filled. Medication charges are not included in the treatment rates and your prescription benefit will be used.
- CLOTHING/MONEY – Casual clothing (7-10 days’ supply), including appropriate gym clothes and supplies. Phoenix House Florida dress code is casual and comfortable but should not be revealing or provocative. No clothing or items should reference drugs or alcohol or anything potentially offensive to someone. Up to 5 clothes hangers are allowed. Watches are allowed, but at your own risk. PHFL is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. You are allowed two pieces of luggage.
- LAUNDRY – Laundry facilities are available on site. Laundry detergent will be provided.
- TOILETRIES – You can bring toiletries including shampoo, conditioner, hair spray (no aerosol), and body lotion. All toiletries must be alcohol free. Electric razors are allowed.
- LITERATURE – You may bring personal literature to read, along with paper, pens, and pencils.
- MISC – You may bring an alarm clock if desired but no other devices.
- Sports/exercise equipment, clothing iron, valuables (jewelry, watches, or designer clothes), heating pads, electric blankets, cameras, stereos, radios, laundry detergent, hand sanitizer, any device with speakers or personal bedding of any kind.
- Weapons of any kind.
- You will receive a privacy practice notice at the time of admission that discusses your rights as a patient and general rules and regulations of the program.
- Clinical staff will assess you for the recommended level of care. If required, detoxification may be managed at the residential facility or in other cases, a brief detoxification admission to a specialized detoxification center may be required for purposes of safety before proceeding to our residential program.
- Visitor Orientation is held every Saturday at 12:30 pm before Visitation (Family Day) begins at 1pm. Visitation is 1-4pm on Saturdays for the Women’s unit and 1-4pm on Sunday for the Men’s program. During Visitor Orientation they will be given the rules of Visitation, and can expect to see their family the same day, upon agreeing to follow the rules of the program. Visitors are subject to their belongings being searched upon entrance into the facility and once inside they are not permitted to return to their vehicles.
- To ensure the safety of all patients, you will be asked to submit to a search of your luggage and other personal items upon admission. After the initial search of belongings, any patient found to be hiding or storing addictive substances is subject to discharge.
Because we recognize that everyone is unique and different, treatment at Phoenix House Florida is individualized to meet your particular needs. We have programming that can accommodate stays from as short as one week to as long as one year. It all depends on what you need and, of course, what you want.
Call us at 813-881-1000, opt 1 to schedule an assessment appointment. We typically can schedule you for an assessment quickly, depending on your current needs.
We offer many levels of care and different treatment regimens that can be customized to meet almost anybody’s needs. However, the first step is seeing a professional to determine exactly what those needs are. Please call us at 813-881-1000, option 1 so we can help you find a treatment plan that works for you.
Yes, we have treatment protocols that combine therapy with attendance at learning institutions, both academic and vocational. At our residential program, we also feature in-program education classes designed to help an individual gain the required knowledge to receive a general equivalency diploma (GED).
Absolutely. Our staff and programs are designed to help those who have co-occurring mental health issues as well as addiction or substance abuse problems.
At our inpatient/residential programs we offer a full range of supportive and recreational services. We feature amenities such as a full-size outdoor pool, a full-size indoor gymnasium/basketball court, fitness equipment, tennis courts, volleyball courts, fitness and walking trails, computer labs, a library, and a full-size baseball/softball diamond. Our therapeutic Music Program includes a professional on-site recording studio that allows clients to compose, perform, and record their own original music.
If discharge planning suggests “step-down services,” this means a lower level of care is advised. Phoenix House Florida’s continuum of care allows clients to move from more intensive to less intensive treatment or vice versa. We offer many different step-down services on both an outpatient and residential basis. These include our Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP), Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP), and Outpatient Services.
While AA and NA are not part of our evidence-based professional therapy, they are supportive recovery elements encouraged by all of our programs. We make AA and NA literature available, encourage attendance at on-site and off-site meetings, and often include AA and NA participation as part of aftercare plans. We are firm believers in 12-step recovery programs, but also recognize that they are not for everyone and may not be appropriate in every situation.
Yes, we are contracted with most insurance providers and accept almost all insurance plans, including: Blue Cross & Blue Shield, United Healthcare, Optum Behavioral Health, Value Options, Centpatico, MHNet, MHN, New Directions Behavioral Health, United Behavioral Health, Humana, Cigna, Magellan, Wellcare, Compcare, Psychcare, America’s PPO, Aetna, as
well as many other insurance plans. We have a very affordable self-pay option available. Please call the Welcome Center at 813-881-1000, option 1 to discuss your options.
Yes, Phoenix House Florida is a nonprofit provider and we believe strongly in making treatment available to those who need it. We offer affordable self-pay rates to those who do not have insurance. We provide high quality at an affordable rate. These rates are often less than one-quarter of what many other providers charge. We are also able to provide state and Medicaid-funded services to qualifying individuals for certain program components. Please call us at 813-881-1000, option 1 for more information and any eligibility requirements that may apply.
Phoenix House Florida believes strongly in engaging the family as a partner in treatment. Frequent communication and participation are highly encouraged. Visitation is conducted weekly.
Yes, we have outdoor designated smoking areas. We don’t encourage smoking, and feature smoking cessation classes. We can provide nicotine replacement therapy to aid in quitting. This choice is yours and we’re here to help if you make the decision to quit.
Treatment is just the first step on the path to recovery. We provide a comprehensive continuing care plan to all clients who leave our facilities at the completion of treatment. This plan will be crafted by you and your lead counselor and will include all the activities you need to continue your successful recovery. The plan will be based upon your own personal needs, strengths, abilities, and preferences.
The schedules for our outpatient and residential programs can be found below. Please note these are an example of a schedule and may be subject to change.
Our residential program is located in Citra, Florida right outside of Ocala. Attached is a map that you can use to assist in finding our location as the GPS does not always find the right location.